Thursday, November 17, 2011

When the Answer is No

I am loving our Bible study, Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl, and one of the lessons this week was exactly what I needed! What do we do when God hurts our feelings (in my case says "no")?

I have a friend that I would like to be more than friends with (anyone ever been there?) but he is not interested. I have prayed about it, over analyzed every conversation we have had, tried to get him to notice me as more than just a friend, discussed it with my friends, you name it....but the answer is no. My feelings are very hurt. Not from rejection by this person, but more because I don't see God's bigger picture. He is telling me that for right now I cannot have what my heart is longing for....companionship, help, love...all the things that I have ever desired in a relationship but have never had.

But just like we see the bigger picture for our kids and try to teach them and keep them from getting hurt, God is doing that with me. I don't like it. Quite honestly, it stinks!  But I do trust God's plan for me (and for my friend). I know that God has something far better than I could come up with on my own (Ephesians 6:20 "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us").

So I am going to take Lysa's advice from our Bible study and ask what instead of why. What Lord do you want to teach me in this situation, what Jesus do I need to work on and let You clean out so that I can make healthy choices where relationships are concerned? Hard questions, but ones that will no doubt serve well to move me closer to God and the plans that He has for me. And, hopefully a little closer to meeting my Prince Charming!

No comments: