Saturday, November 05, 2011

Attitude Confessions Continued

2 Peter 1:5-7
"Make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to your goodness, knowledge; and to your knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love."

I felt so bad after the not-so-good start to our week. I felt myself caught up in the wrong attitude that "we just can't get it right, especially me". My example to the boys is the most important one they see. They act the way that I act, they talk the way that I talk. Quite often, I am ashamed to hear some of the things that they say and see ways that they act because I know that it came straight from me.

On Wednesday I pulled out a book to read, hoping that it would provide some word to calm this war going on within me about what a bad example I had been. The scripture above was in chapter one. When I read it, I felt peace that I hadn't felt all week.

See, God doesn't expect me to be the perfect example all the time. He expects me to keep trying and "add" to the things that He has placed in me. He gives me goodness, knowledge, self-control (which sometimes seems like a very small portion), perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love. But how much I add to these is up to me. When I mess up, these things aren't taken away, I'm just not adding much to them.

Lesson learned for me this week....I will not feel condemned when I fall short with my attitude and actions, but will remember the things that God has given me to handle the situation, and move forward adding to them rather than taking away.

No comments: