Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Worry Too Much

A friend of mine told me today, "you worry too much" in response to an explanation that I gave for something that I had said earlier. They are right.

More times that not, I will over analyze things that I have said. Conversations with people and statements that I have made, and then feel the need to explain something that I said or wonder if what I said made sense. This will prompt me to want to explain or make other statements when the reality is that what I said to start with was fine.

I'm not sure why my mind works this way. Maybe it is lingering tidbits of insecurity that sometimes want to rise back up within me. Maybe it's that I want to be very careful how I come across to people because I want to be sensitive to their situations. Maybe it's because I've been in situations where what I said was misinterpreted and distorted into something it was not. Whatever the reason, this type of worry is putting confidence in myself rather than the Creator of my confidence and the reason I even have a voice to start with.

Philippians 3:3 says "for it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh".

I agree with this friend that I do worry too much. But this worry is not adding anything of value to my life or my relationships (Matthew 6:27).  It distracts me from the things of God, makes me seem immature (and insecure), and most of the time will diminish the original message.

There are certainly times that I will make mistakes in conversation and will need to explain myself or even apologize. But that is not always the case. My prayer today is for God to give me more wisdom, more discernment, and more of Him to fill in the spaces that this type of worry tries to occupy.

No comments: