Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Strong Willed Child

If there ever was a strong willed child, his name is Zachary. I don't mean that he is a bad child, but he is just the one that is going to test every boundary and definitely try to do things his way. Somedays it is all I can do to have enough energy to keep him somewhat obedient. But I love him with all my heart. I wouldn't trade the chaos and craziness for anything else. Even though I know he is hard to deal with at times, it makes me sad that others night not like him or think bad about him. Because I know who he really is.

Don't you think that's how our Father sees us? He knows that most of the time we are out of control and set on doing things our way, but He loves us anyway.  He sees the REAL us. The person that He knows we are and no matter what we think about ourselves or anyone else thinks about us, we are His! He is jealous for us. He wants our time, talents, hearts. Not just so he can control us or extort His authority but so that He can make us the best person we can be. Just like with Zach, I don't keep him reigned in because I want to control him, but because I know he must learn certain things to become a compasionate, responsible and hopefully godly man.

Obedience, or lack of, can bring many good things even if being obedient makes us uncomfortable. Romans 19:1 says "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous". So the question is, do we want to be like Adam and not set the example for others, or do we want to be like Christ and bring light into this world?

Obedience is very hard for me. This is probably where Zach gets it from. But I know that obeying God has far more benefits that out weigh the discomfort of surrendering my will to His. Plus, it is just the RIGHT thing to do. I taught Zach Ephesians 6:1 in a moment of battle between us about learning scripture when he said, "I don't want that verse, I want another one". So I said ok, here is your verse, "children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right". Doesn't that apply to us to? Children (you and me (and Zach)) obey your parent (God) in the Lord (His ways, according to His word) because this is the right thing to do.

Be obedient today (pointing fingers at myself) ao that you can "eat the good of the land" (Isaiah 1:19)

No comments: