Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Proverbs 1:33

Proverbs 1:33 says that if we are obedient that we will dwell safely, be secure and without fear of evil. So why is it that we (I) are so apt to be disobedient? I suppose it can be dealt to our sin nature, the whole rebel thing that has been going on since Adam and Eve, and just plain old selfishness. Or, maybe some of it is the fear of being out of control. Giving ourselves over to a force that we cannot see and sometimes question the existence of. But no matter what my justification at the time, I know that disobedience will end up causing more harm than the discomfort obedience may cause in the moment. Just like with my kids.....Joseph doesn't really like to read but I make him read a little each day....not because I want to make him do things he doesn't want to do, but because it is good for him to put something into his brain besides TV and video games. God doesn't tell us to do things so He can exert His power over us, but because He knows the end result, the good plans that He has for us, and the way to get us there. I would like to say that I will be immediately obedient from here on out, but I know that will not happen. But, I do know that I will take one day at a time and pray for God to help me be willing to be immediately obedient, knowing that in the end, His way is right. At the end of the day there is not better place to be than in the arms of Jesus, safe, secure and without fear of evil.

No comments: