Wednesday, August 01, 2012

I've Got Plenty to Worry About Myself

"Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things" Romans 2:1

It is hard to be a Christian in society today. It seems that identifying with Christian principles and beliefs is becoming more and more politically incorrect. And, if one dares to stand up for what they believe, they are called all manner of names and stereotyped. I wonder sometimes if we have not entered into a contest to see who can call the most names and/or who can pass the most judgment...which to me is really sad.

But even so, I happen to be one of those Christians who believes the Word of God. I do not believe that it is an ancient book that cannot be applied or used today. I believe that the things God calls sin are sin. But it does not mean that I am judging those who believe differently than me. 

Two of the things that He calls sin are judgment (see opening Scripture) and hatred of one another. John 13: 34-35 says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

I strive everyday to be the kind of person that I believe God would be pleased with. I fail miserably some days, and the days when I do get it right are scattered with mishaps and things that I could have done differently. I don't mean that I live in condemnation, but that I have enough to worry about when considering the "plank" in my own eye (see Matthew 7:3, also vs. 1-2 for more on NOT judging). 

The prequel, if you will, to the opening scripture that I used is Romans 1:18-32. In this passage you find just about everything that God calls sin. Homosexuality is among these, but what I should be more concerned with is disobedience, unforgiveness, envy, not loving the way I should, and the list could go on.

We should all strive everyday to live with more love, deeper examination of our own lives, and without judgment. So, to my friends who are gay, and the others that do not agree with me, let's agree to disagree, but still treat each other with respect and love, not judgment and hate.

PS - for two awesome posts about the Chick-fil-a debate checkout jenhatmaker.com and perrynoble.com. 


No comments: